The arrival of wild-crafted chanterelles always creates a buzz at the store. Here's a recipe that puts the first-class fungus centre stage.
- 1 package of organic fettuccine or egg noodles
- 1 lb chanterelles cleaned and thick cut
- 1 cup minced parsley
- 1 cup grated organic parmesan
- 3 cloves garlic slivered
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- 2 tbs softened butter
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
1. Boil salted water and cook pasta to preferred softness.
2. Heat 2 tbs olive oil till hot and add the chanterelles. Chanterelles are best cooked in high heat to release the moisture and sear in the flavors. Cook till the released liquids begin to evaporate then add the garlic, red pepper flakes and salt.
3. Reduce heat and saute for another 5 minutes. Add heavy cream, tomato paste and softened butter and turn off heat.
4. Stir to incorporate and add parsley.
5. When the pasta is ready use tongs or a sieved ladle to move the pasta directly into the pan with the chanterelles. Add the pasta water and the parmesan and mix. The pasta must sit for at least 3 minutes for the sauce to absorb. Check seasonings and add more water if it is too thick or more parmesan if it is too thin.