Vegan Garlic Soup Stock
A flavourful and nutritious vegan soup stock.
- 3 whole heads of garlic
- 10 cups water
- 2 or 3 bay leaves
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 potatoes, scrubbed and coarsely chopped
- 2 or 3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme, or 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 fresh parsley sprigs
1. Remove the loose, papery outer skins of the heads of garlic and break them apart into cloves - there is no need to peel the cloves.
2. Combine all the ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil.
3. Cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 1 hour.
4. Strain the stock and use it right away, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 4 days, or freeze it for up to 6 months.