A classic meal for a cold winter's day.
- 1 1/2 pounds grass fed/finished ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 - 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup beef or vegetable broth
- 1 (14 oz.) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, optional
- Brown beef in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 10 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Remove ground beef from skillet, reserving 2 tbsp of drippings.
- Sauté onion, mushrooms, and garlic in hot drippings over medium heat 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in ground beef, peas, salt and thyme. Sprinkle flour over meat mixture. Increase heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, and vinegar, breaking up large tomato pieces with a spoon. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring often until slightly thickened.
- Remove bay leaf. Transfer mixture to a lightly greased 3-qt. baking dish or pan. Spoon Mashed Potatoes evenly over meat mixture, smoothing with back of spoon and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if using.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.