Orange Pomegranate Butter & Buttermilk Biscuits
Warm flakey biscuits with sweet, fragrant butter.
Orange Pomegranate Butter
- ½ stick butter (room temp)
- zest of half a small orange
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoons sea salt
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
Orange Pomegranate Butter:
- Place soft butter in a bowl. Use a fork to blend in orange zest and honey. Add pomegranate seeds and stir. Leave soft, or put in the fridge for later use
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Set oven rack in center position.
- Place parchment paper on cookie sheet and set aside.
- Measure flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl.
- Add cut butter. Use your fingertips to pinch butter into dry ingredients until it looks like course meal.
- Make a well in the center and pour buttermilk into well. Stir and then use hands to mix until dough is formed. Dough will be very sticky (grain free won't be as sticky)
- Form into a ball.
- Sprinkle counter with flour and set dough on counter. Use hands to form into a 1" thick flat round disk.
- Cut into circles. I use the top of a mason jar but you can use a round cookie cutter.
- Fold leftover dough and form into a 1" thick flat round disk again. Cut dough. Repeat till all dough is gone.
- Place dough onto cookie sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Serve warm with butter from grass fed cows or Orange Pomegranate Butter