Berry Hemp Spelt Muffins
These muffins are great for a quick breakfast or snack when you're on the go.
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup sugar (try granulated cane)
- 1 1⁄4 cups organic milk (dairy or non-dairy such as hemp, almond or coconut)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 heaping cup berries, such as frozen blueberries, saskatoon, raspberry or strawberry
- 8 tablespoons hemp ‘hearts’ (shelled hemp seeds)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the milk and vinegar, till frothy. Whisk in the coconut oil and applesauce. Mix this wet mixture into the dry ingredients till everything is ‘just’ combined, but still a bit clumpy and not overly smooth.
- Toss the berries in about 1 Tbsp of the dry ingredient mixture. Fold in the berries and half the hemp hearts. Top each muffin with a half tablespoon of hemp seeds.
- Spoon mixture into 10-12 muffin tins and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.